The last time I did a "Five for Friday" post was in January of 2015. Think of how many fun Fridays I missed sharing with you all (and by "all" I mean "all three of you who still follow this blog!") Five for Friday was always one of my favorite ways to share a bunch of fun, things quickly and rather easily, so maybe it will be one that I can commit to trying this year? I'm a bit out of practice...here goes nothing:
1. I know Christmas is over, but I just had to share my new holiday jam - Sharon Jones was one of the many amazing entertainers who passed away during 2016. This song has been on replay at my house for the past couple of weeks...it's pretty much perfect. :)
2. My husband and I had a little holiday party for some of our local couple friends last week. I love entertaining, but I never do it! On a whim, we decided to have an adults-only gathering, and it was a huge success. We were lucky enough to have a wine distributor as a guest, and he brought a bunch of really amazing bottles of wine...or so my wine-drinking friends tell me. I am more of an egg nog + extras girl, myself! I made a bunch of food to serve, including this Crostini with Thyme-Roasted Tomatoes (decent) and this Walnut-Pepper Spread (kinda weird), but my favorite was the charcuterie board I made including lots of Wisconsin cheeses, some meat, fruit, and nuts. It was so pretty and delicious that I made another one for Christmas Eve with my family. I know I'm late to the party when it comes to food trends, but this might just be my new go-to thing make when I have to bring an appetizer someplace.
3. Did you make it to any great after-Christmas sales? I just may have gone to Target...twice. ;) 70% off?! Can't beat that! The first trip I saved $134 and the second time I saved over $30. I stocked up on tissue paper, wrapping, labels, teacher gifts for next year, and of course, a few things I didn't really need but couldn't resist. My favorite finds were a pair of green tree lanterns and a cute Christmas Tree throw that ended up costing me about 7 dollars (in-store deals appear to be much better than online deals!). Next year when I want to buy everything at Target for full price before the holidays, remind me of this post!
4. Do you have a New Year's Eve tradition? For as long as I can remember, my husband and I have stayed up late and cooked for each other. I don't eat meat, and he doesn't eat dairy, which means many of our favorite meals cannot be shared between us. I love this tradition, though I still haven't decided what he is going to make for me yet! It's probably between my old favorite standby (leek and lemon risotto) and homemade vegetable potpie. I'm clearly a comfort foods kind of girl! We also usually have a special desert with the kids and do something fun like play games and put on funny mustaches. It's not very exciting, but it's something I look forward to every year! I'd love to hear about your traditions!
5. Are you in need of something to do on New Year's Day? Never fear PBS (maybe just in WI?) is running an Anne of Green Gables Marathon! It's settled...I will be in front of the television all day watching Anne with an E. (Okay, in reality, I will tape it all and hopefully watch it at some point in the next couple of months...but oh, how lovely it would be to have an entire day to watch a childhood favorite!) I wonder if Gilbert Blythe will be a dreamy to me as he was when I was 12. ;)